77 Lincoln Street

Dublin Core

Title

77 Lincoln Street
77 Lincoln Street, St. Augustine, Fla. 32084

Subject

White, Rether B.
Rether's Beauty Salon, White, Mrs. Rether B.

Description

The area comprising Genovar Subdivision is situated between the early 18th century Indian Villages of Pocotacala to the south and Palica to the north. By the late 18th century, a redoubt was built in the western portion of the tract along the marshes of the San Sebastian River. The subdivision developed out of the late 18th century land grant to Francisco Marin, a Spanish shoemaker, who converted the property into one of the first commercial orange groves in Florida. The road to the San Sebastian ferry, or present-day Kings Ferry Street, formed the northern boundary of the grant. [1] The orange grove prospered until the 1870's with such prominent proprietors as the Marquis de Fougeres, the French Counsel at Charleston, South Carolina, and Augustin Verot, the Catholic Bishop of St. Augustine. Bartolo Genovar, a local merchant and real estate developer. purchased and subdivided the grove by 1878, and by 1885, the two principle streets in the subdivision, Lincoln and Kings Ferry, were lined with small homes. Early and subsequent development has been associated with Blacks, including the A.M.E. Church, and represents one of the initial phases in the expansion of the early Black community of Lincolnville. [2]
This two-story Frame Vernacular residence at 77 Lincoln Street was constructed between 1878 and 1885, making it one of the original structures in the Genovar Addition. Significant details include jigsawn brackets and porch railings and chamfered posts. Genovar Addition was one of the early residential neighborhoods of Lincolnville. The 1885 and 1894 Birdseye maps of St. Augustine show a number of houses along Kingsferry and Lincoln Streets, surrounded by agricultural areas to the north and south. Almost all of the houses are wood frame, and about equally divided between one and two stories. There are some interesting Victorian examples. With the exception of some commercial and institutional buildings along Central Avenue and Riberia Street, the subdvision is mainly residential. Genovar Addition is bounded on the west by marshland and the San Sebastian River. On the east it extends almost as far as Maria Sanchez Lake. The area is threatened generally by traffic along Central Avenue and Riberia Street, and by some housing deterioration.

Creator

David Nolan
Stephanie Giordano

Source

Florida Master Site File

Publisher

Historic St. Augustine Preservation Board

Date

7812

Identifier

8SJ1143

Citation

David Nolan and Stephanie Giordano, “77 Lincoln Street,” Resilience: Black Heritage in St. Augustine, accessed April 21, 2024, https://blackheritagestaugustine.omeka.net/items/show/191.

Output Formats